I've heard terrible stories of home sales falling apart at the last minute--finding out the day before (or, gasp! of) closing that financing fell through, the buyer backed out, etc. So I have not actually fully breathed easily since all of this started.
Until, oh, surely early Wednesday---really, though, about late Tuesday.
My closing was scheduled for Monday afternoon. I had packed all weekend, then the packer (notice, that's singular. Ummhmmmm---was supposed to be more than one, but so it goes with moving) came early Monday to do the kitchen. He was very nice, but he was very slow. He even admitted he was slow because it'd been so long since he'd packed a kitchen. (Side note---an advertising ploy of the moving company is "Lady Packers." Hmph. But I'm not sexist. A man can pack a kitchen as well as---and quite often better than---a woman. Still, odd that they promote one thing but don't follow through. It's not a huge issue---as long as my china is still in one piece!) He's slow and not as experienced---again, none of this is a problem if my kitchen things arrive without damage.
Finally---he was done! I rush off to closing, calling to let 'em know I'd be fifteen late. Breathe. I signed my name a lot, reviewed my pay-off forms, and it's done! Well, not quite. The buyer wouldn't be there to close until 5.
No time to fret over that! I had to rush off to my doc to pic up my MRI films so I'd have 'em for a TN doc (no need to pay another $700 (after insurance) for that!), then to Home Depot for minor things, and then over to Hobby Lobby to look for yarn for Mom. Mom crochets and is in the middle of a great Aggie-maroon afghan for my nephew. (My grandmother made my Aggie afghan too.) And what else do you do when you can't walk? (when I was out-of-commission with my knee ten years ago, I actually crocheted a whole baby blanket for my best friend Melissa---the only completed crochet project I've made to date.) Whew! In the middle of the errands, I got a call that the sale would not fund Monday; it was too late.
Alrighty.
Tuesday morning, I had time for errands before the movers came. One of those was to my old and new banks. See, TN doesn't have my current bank, but Fort Worth does have a bank that's prevalent in Memphis. So I was able to go ahead and open a new account in that bank. In the meantime, I also ran by my bank and learned---the wire had come through! WooHoo! The sale was funded!
But wait. It wasn't really my money yet.
Huh? Umm Hmmm. When I tried to get money from my old bank to take to the new bank, I learned I couldn't get the money until the wire was "hard posted" to my account. Why? Well, in all reality, it seems the wire could be canceled in the same business day it'd been sent. So it wasn't totally there yet.
Breathe.
No worries, though. Wednesday morning, it was all there! And I promptly (after too many conversations about why my old bank didn't have enough cash to give me, the costs of wires, and finally a waived fee for a cashier's check), made my deposit into my new account. Whew! Now I'll have a bank in Memphis---with enough of a balance in it---where I can go to get the cashier's check I need to pay the movers!
It's official: I know longer own my home. Bittersweet, yes. But I can breathe!!! (And finally a massage therapist might have a ray of hope in working out the knots in my shoulders!)
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Closed, Funded, and a Hard Post
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment