Monday, June 11, 2007

A Gathering in Arlington

When I moved to north Texas in '95, I left behind a great group of friends in Houston. One thing we did there was played darts in a dart league. It took a little while, but eventually, after I moved to Arlington (where I lived before moving to Fort Worth), I found another dart league.

After playing for a couple of seasons with my team, several of us stuck around for the summer league. Alas, one week, though, we were short a player. Another team's player was up at Moose & Vinny's one night, and he agreed to fill in for us. (He wasn't on a team that summer.) That was Jim, and from that, a great group of friends came to be.

Here's Jim & me:

(That summer was the summer after my knee injury---after I shattered my kneecap. I was still on crutches, so while playing darts that summer, Jim and other teammates would so kindly go pull my darts after I threw them---saving me steps each game. I finally got off those crutches late that summer.)

Anyway, Jim and I formed another team that fall. Eventually Jim, James, and Monique were all on the team (along with Mo's then-sweetie Stu (they since split up)) and Tracy joined us most nights too---sometimes playing also. We got together each week for league night plus many weekend nights for fun---and to practice. Our place was Moose & Vinny's. We even became good friends with Moose. Mo's friends Darin & Laura and Dana often joined us on weekend nights when we would throw darts but also have tons of fun dancing to bands like Professor D, Incognito, Lookout, and other great cover bands.

We spent fabulous Halloweens and new year's eves together---creating great memories. And my thirtieth birthday was spent with this group (and with some of those dear friends from Houston who came to town for it along with all my family and others too) at Moose's where I even danced on stage with the band---that night, it was Incognito.

What keeps this group of friends so near to my heart? I've been thinking about it, and you know, it's that these are some of the most genuine folks I know. We've known each other for ten years now, and still, I feel blessed to call them all friend and to have had them in my life.

And so, once I knew I was moving, I had to find a night to see them all again before I headed out. Friday was that night. Here's the group from Friday night:
Moose & Vinny's has long since shut down, so we met at Sherlock's in Arlington. Everyone was there: Tracy & Jim (who finally married each other two years ago---and by the way, it was Tracy's birthday that night too. It was double celebration!); Mo and her new honey; Laura & Darrin; James; Dana; Tracy's son Jeremy; and me. Others friends joined us too. Sure, it's been ten years now, and yes, that means we're all ten years older, but that's something else about these great people---aging together.

These particular girlfriends were all in their thirties when we met. And me--almost there. And it was their grasp of life that really made me hit that milestone with a smile on my face and my head held straight up. They all raved about how wonderful their thirties were to them, and indeed; they were right! (What's fabulous, of course, is that these incredible women tell me that their forties are even better! WooHoo!! ;-)

Here the core group of those girlfriends---me, Dana, Laura, Tracy, & Mo:But having friends who are dear to you also means some tough goodbyes sometimes. And saying goodbye to Tracy was one of those hard ones.
Tracy is a truly remarkable woman. She has a hold of life unlike anyone I know in that she has a zest for living and fun and is able to see what's really important and what just plain isn't. Her wit is unmatched, and to say that she's a hoot would be the understatement of the century, but that also wraps up pretty nicely what it's like to hang around her.

Ah----hanging around with Tracy. She had several poor unsuspecting souls at Moose & Vinny's at times convinced that she was Vinny----and that she collected the fee to play darts.

Then there was Hawaii: Tracy and I (along with another one of the Arlington friends, Michelle, plus several of Michelle's friends) did a girls' trip to Hawaii back in January '99. And oh goodness--what fun! Tracy and I made fabulous traveling companions. We visited Pearl Harbor together---both being caught off guard at how emotional that would be. We also drove around the island, stopping at "hidden places" recommended by her guide book. Then there was the night at Moose McGillycuddy's. A running joke back in Arlington involved Tracy, Mo, and I as James's sisters---all from Georgia. And oh yes, the Georgia accent is laid on quite thick. (This all started from an oh-so-colorful joke about several women from Georgia talking to each other about men they'd met "Oh my stars!") And so, being out of town, naturally, those Georgia sisters had to make an appearance. Too funny---and fun!

Tracy meant so much more to me---and to the woman I am. Aside from the great fun that she is, she's also full of so much love. And she's one of those people whom I trust that I could call---at any time---and she'd be there for me. So yes, when Tracy & Jim left, it was hard to say good-bye. I'm gonna miss you, Tracy!

But back to the fun of the night----guess who the band was on Friday night? Indeed! Incognito! I had put together all of my photos of all of us from the past ten years into one album, and the band got a kick out of the photos I had from '98 when they played at Moose's that same night as my birthday blow-out. And of course, we girls had to hit the dance floor!
















Here's a shot of James and me and one of Dana and me then one of me with Dana, Laura, and Mo:












And then there's this pic of Darin and me:

Darin and Laura are a fabulous couple. I so admire what they have---and more importantly, the secure nature of their relationship.

I recall a night back in Houston---ironically, the week I was moving from Houston to move up here to north Texas---when my friend Jeff called me a flirt. What?! Me?! how rude! Absolutely not! I'm just friendly and outgoing! Yes---those were my thoughts and words that night. But since then, okay, maybe Jeff was right. But more so; so what!? What's wrong with being a flirt? (Although still, I'm not sure I know the total difference, but let's not get into a battle of semantics.) Okay, so I flirt. :-)

Back to Darin and Laura----here's two people I can see flirt, and it's totally harmless. And that's what's so amazing with their relationship: they are so secure enough, that it's fine. They obviously worked that out long ago, and things just work for them. And bravo to them!

Anyway, so Darin said the reason for our pic together was so that if some man in Memphis caused me problems, I just show 'em this pic of this guy back in Texas who won't stand for me being mistreated. :-) Yes---that's the other thing I have in these friends: three of the best big brothers a girl could ask for. I didn't really grow up with either of my brothers, so I never had that protective source from them. But like I know I could call on Tracy, I also know these Arlington men would be there for me, and if it ever came down to it, never let me be in a bad situation.

So what a great night!! Fun, dancing, a great band, and most importantly---a wonderful time spent with some of the most genuine and fabulous people I know. I love those guys, and I've been blessed to know them and to be able to call them my friends.

No comments: