Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Original Trio---Goodbye Dinner

On Sunday evening, my friends Tim and Kathy had me over for dinner---our chance to say good-bye. Here's the two of them.

Rod came too, fitting, as the three of us---Tim, Rod, and I---were the original trio of hosts.


I mentioned Rod and Tim before. I met Tim back in December 2000 at my first Aggie happy hour. Tim's a vice principal and had graduated from A&M around the same time as I did. He's a wonderfully sweet man, and bless his heart. but yes, just a little naive.

I clearly recall that birthday of that year when Tim brought Rod along and we all joined some other friends heading to Dallas for a murder mystery show. Tim and Rod came to my house to pick me up. As we were heading out the door, Rod noticed my Wolfard Lamp and asked what it was. I told him, and he replied, "Man, I thought it was a bong sitting on your coffee table." Tim's reply---"What's a bong?" Poor thing, I still tease him over that. (I'm almost always the one getting teased for saying things without really thinking them through (How much does that twenty-pound bag of potting soil weigh, anyway?))

Anyway, so yes, that's when I met Rod. And shortly thereafter, the three of us---probably late one night at the Pink Poodle---a truck stop diner that was perfect after a late night near the Stockyards---decided to throw a party. We had been reminiscing about parties from college days, and we mentioned how no one has parties like that anymore. Heck, all in our 30s, we can't survive parties like that too often! But we decided what the heck?! We can have a party like that! And plans started. And what a party it was!

The place---my house. I had thrown a small party back when I moved in around August 1999. It was my "housewarming/happy birthday to me/hooray I'm going to law school" party. And it was great! Not too large---mainly all my friends from Arlington (more about them later), a few from my previous job, and some family. But this 2001 party was something else.

We invited everyone! Of course, everyone from "the gang" was there, all those friends from Arlington, people from law school (I was now in my third year of school), neighbors, people from the A&M club, people from my Sunday school class (ummhmmm), poeple Rod and Tim had met at Razoo's, and even people from Bennigans--where I did a lot of studying. (yes, I studied for law school in Bennigan's. The Kettle and MSC got me through undergrad, but I can't read law for too too long without needing a break. If I went in and had a beer, I could read for a while then eventually I'd start visiting with someone else at the bar. And I'd put it aside for the evening. Sure, IHOP was right next door, but hey! I graduated top of my class, so it must have been just fine! :-) ) Back to the guests---I never did a head count, but everyone says that pretty much at any given time between the hours of 9 and 1, at least 100 people were at my house. Yowza!

But it was such fun! Everyone behaved, the house wasn't hurt at all, and most importantly, lots of people made new friends! Okay, so to be honest, the police did visit my street that night---but they were here to see the people across the street. Can you imagine? I have this huge party, and the police have to go across the street!

My neighbors Gina and Chris were getting married, and they decided---in hindsight, foolishly---to have the bachelor party and bachelorette parties on the same night. And it happened to be that night. The bachelorettes started off at my house then took their party to downtown Fort Worth to City Streets---a popular place for bachelorette parties at that time. The guys, on the other hand, headed to an establishment in Dallas. And yes, it was one of those kinds of establishments. But the different cities meant that the girls got home before the guys.

Gina's limo pulled up about 2:30. And yes, plenty of people were still at my house. Some of my guests reported that a cell phone came flying out of the car window, and many inebriated girls were across the street. Apparently, the bride-to-be was less than happy that her soon-to-be-groom wasn't home yet. What's more---she'd lost her keys at the club. Oh, and but of course, several of the single men at my house went to offer their assistance to the group of overly intoxicated young ladies. (They finally got in a window or something I think.)

What played out provided quite the voyeuristic entertainment for my remaining guests. The groom finally arrived home, shouting ensued, and eventually, the police came for a visit. Chris spent an hour or two in my kitchen, but finally went back home. Interestingly enough, they went ahead with the wedding. The divorce was final about fifteen months later.

The remainder of my guests (the ones who didn't spend the night) finally left around 4:30 or so. Rod and Tim helped me clean the next morning, and the Party I legend began.

(We had Party II at Tim's house the next spring---he'd just bought his house that winter. Then we had Dave join in hosting duties and had Party III at his new house in the fall of '02. He had a pool! And this time, still thinking college days, we had a theme: it was a toga party! Party IV was again at Dave's, this time focusing on the 70s. And at that point, we passed the baton on to others, but as I said, Party I is the original legend.)

I guess those college reminiscing issues that have directed a lot of Rod, Tim, and my activities together. In 2003 we went to South Padre Island for spring break. I had never been, and oh my. I can't say I'll go back. But it was fun! (I knew I should experience it at least once---in case I ever have a child begging to go.) But it was also the kind of think people in their 30s need do only once. :-)

The following fall, Tim and Kathy got married in a beautiful ceremony at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens. (But a cold front came through during the ceremony, and the wind really picked up. I had to work hard not to laugh because Kathy's veil kept blowing straight out---and she looked like a Flying Nun bride. Still, it was a lovely ceremony.) Sam arrived around November of 2004. And Ben was born just a few months ago. The boys are such cuties.

And back to now---dinner Sunday night was great. We had burgers, grilled chicken, and some fabulous jalapeno sausage along with pasta salad and some yummy guacamole. As Rod and I were leaving, Tim gave us both some wine he'd made. He's really getting into making his own wine. His label? Tres Gatos--named for his and Kathy's three cats.

And essentially, Tim and Kathy are just good people. They are nice, funny, fun, and incredibly easy-going---good friends to have. And good friends whom I'll miss. (I didn't officially say goodbye to Rod; we'll see each other again before I leave.)

No comments: