Sunday, June 3, 2007

At the Y-M-C-A!

I mentioned in a previous post about working with the Y, and Thursday was my official send-off. My role? I've served on the Board of my local Y for the past year. Of course, I originally thought it'd be longer---but life has a way of changing things. Still, it's been a great year, and what a great group of people!

I started working out at the Y about two-and-a-half years ago. I pretty much had had it with for-profit places, and the Y was not too far down the road, so I figured I'd give it a try. I also liked that in January, I had no joining fee and would always be month-to-month. (I'm on 40's front porch and single; I'm not afraid to admit there might be issues with commitment. ;-) )

Anyway, I just loved working out at the Y! When I first joined, I still worked for the court, so my workouts were always in the evening. But the people were fantastic---none of the pretentious "oooh look how cute I am" business I'd seen at other places----especially with all of the staff. Everyone was friendly, happy to be there, happy to see you, and very supportive of individual goals. And that it was the first place I really took a yoga class, well, certainly that sealed the deal.

But once I shifted to teaching, my schedule changed. I started working out in the morning. And that was even better. But not just because it gives me a great charge that lasts the whole day (I'm more likely to want a nap by 1 if I don't work out that if I do!), but because of the mix of people.

See, working out in the morning at the Y means you're there with primarily two types of folks---moms and retirees. And I adore 'em all. Granted, I confused a lot of people when, at 9 a.m. on any given day, someone would ask what I did, and I'd reply, "I teach." I got the odd look saying, "Ummm, ya know, it's middle of the morning!" I'd then explain I was a professor who taught afternoon and evening classes, then a look of relief would cross the person's face. (whew! our teachers aren't playing hooky!) Sure, the moms got their tummies the "respectful" way, but hey! Nothing wrong with gaining one from a little wine! ;-) (okay, but seriously, have I ever had a flat stomach? I don't think so.)

But truly, it's the retirees I love seeing. And learning about their access to the Y is what sold me on the whole place. The Y, of course, is non-profit. Sure, now, it has to make money to support itself, but no one's pocketing a profit. But what really makes it special to me? It's the scholarships and reduced rates.

For folks, such as retirees, on a fixed income, the Y has a sliding scale of membership dues. Think about it: You're 70 years old, your doc tells you to get exercise, but every gym around charges over $60 a month for two spouses. You're living on your social security (because when you were young, you thought that'd cover you), and how can you afford a place to exercise---where it's not raining, there's no ice, and where you can even get professional guidance on how to start (yes, even at age 70) lifting weights? The YMCA. They take care of our seniors.

But it's not just seniors! You all know lots of "soccer moms"---who chaffeur their kids from one activity to another, giving the kids great exposure to lots of people, activities, and most importantly, getting them active---away from the tv and video games. But those expenses seriously add up! And what if you cannot afford the dues for your kids to play soccer...or little league....or winter basketball? Should poor kids not get to play too? According to the Y---they should play. They should have the opportunity to participate in after-school activities. And I agree!

And learn to swim? How does a single mom, working her be-hind off to support her kids with just the basics, afford swimming lessons? She doesn't. Should those kids not learn to swim? No!

And that's where Step Up for Kids comes in----and a huge part of being a Board member.

Step Up for Kids is the annual scholarship campaign fundraiser in which each branch raises money from donations to give kids scholarships to participate in sports and learn to swim. The Y's philosophy is that "no child or adult is turned away from becoming stronger and healthier in spirit, mind and body with YMCA programs" because of ability to pay. And its vision is to be "the premier human development agency in North Texas to teach values to kids; to strengthen and support families; to help teenagers make the transition into adulthood; and create safe environments that allow individuals to develop total health." I get goosebumps just reading that.

My role? Well, this year, my first year on the Board, Ken, our executive director asked me to be one of only two division leaders. Me? What? Are you nuts? I've never been in charge of raising money! Ahhhhh-----No worries. Ken knows how to do it, and he assured me he'd lead me by the hand in learning how to make it happen.

And we did! George was our Campaign Leader, and Patrick and I were the Division Leaders. Patrick and I each had four team captains, and each captain had a team of four or five people. You do it that way, and just try to get each person to gather a small amount, and you can do it. And we did! It was the first year in our branch's history to meet our fundraising goals by the target date! Way to go Clark Nowlin Y!

Back to how I got involved? Well, most people who serve on the Board are recommended or something then approached and asked to serve. Me? Not so much. Instead, I spend a few months working out that fourth Wednesday of the month, watching the board members leave the monthly meeting. And you know what? They were all men! Hmph. Further, I'd really been looking for a way to "plug in" to my community---something professors are supposed to do. (Being a professor is three-pronged: teaching, scholarship, and service (to your school and your community).) And as much as I admired what the Y did, what better place for me to be involved?!

Anyway, that's how this board member came to be. And yes, I'm leaving, but we've added two more women to the Board. And what's more---the City of Fort Worth and the Y finally hammered out the agreements for a new facility for us. It'll be a partnership of sorts, with money given by the city but totally run by the Y, and it'll be great for this area.

And Thursday I said goodbye to the Board. A couple of members and Ken all came out to Buffalo Wild Wings for a few goodbye brews, and it was really nice.

I had a great picture of all of us, but my new laptop corrupted everything. Umm hmmmm. Breathe. That &%$*@ machine and seriously---right now, Vista is a four-letter word. Breathe. I really lost only about sixteen pictures, but still---I've had to start all over again with the transferring of files. Breathe. (try not to get too upset with HP's help people---whom I had to pay $157 to for them to tell me everything was lost) And breathe.

And support your local Y! :-)

No comments: