I'm here! Okay, so I've been here now for four days. My posts are waayyyyyy behind, but for now, I'm just going to write about moving in. Soon enough, I'll get down my last nights in Fort Worth, the movers there, my visit with Mom, and Dad's Fourth of July party (with a few rants of my own---you've been warned!). Whew! I've got a lot of typing ahead of me!
So---I arrived in Memphis late Monday afternoon. I timed it to get here in time to pick up my key from the property management company---knowing I'd need to be here for one night before the movers brought my stuff the next morning.
My neighbors were around when I pulled up. Everything that had to be done to the house had been done, but still no exterior painting. However, several pieces of wood around the eaves have been replaced, and next-door-neighbor Chris said he'd heard someone was coming to paint soon. Hooray!
I also met the neighbors to the south--well, I met Cole and daughter Morgan. I've yet to meet Michelle. And from my brief meeting of all---great folks!
I unloaded the car, and before long, I learned that Howard could crawl through the fences (just like in Fort Worth, where two fences had been built back-to-back, Howard loves to crawl between 'em), then quickly put up a blockade to that.
But hmmmm---where's Sophie? Bless her heart, she'd been cooped up in the carrier for almost seven hours. So upon arrival, I let her out to sniff around the empty house. And now---she was gone.
How could she disappear? Oh heavens. Granted, when I allowed her free reign, the back door was open, but the back screen was closed. I tested the door, and I decided it was possible for her to have pulled that door open. But not likely---only possible. Still, the next-door five-year-old said he'd seen a fluffy whitish cat walk by just a few minutes ago. Oh heavens.
On the up side, Jackson's dad Chris said Jackson had a vivid imagination, so I shouldn't take his "spotting" of Sophie too seriously. Still, Howard and I walked down the block, calling her name. Nothing.
Returning to the house, I looked high and low. I called her name---"Sophie...?" Nothing. I looked behind every door. I looked on any shelf. Nothing. I looked in each place possibly big enough for a cat.
Or so I thought.
Indeed---I finally found her! Sophie! She had crawled between the stove and the wall---a space of about four inches wide. Good grief. I promptly got Sophie's own crate into an empty bedroom, and she promptly crawled in, happy for familiarity.
Knowing I'd need some drinks and eats for the movers the next day, I got directions to the grocery store from neighbor Chris, and I headed out to see what the local shopping for food was like---my first trip to Schnucks.
Fabulous! Okay, sure, it's small (and interestingly arranged; I almost never found the dairy). But it's got what I want! Not only does the place have a good-looking fresh salad bar, it's got an ante pasta bar (yummy olives, marinated artichokes, mushrooms, etc.), and get this----they carry a great IPA (Bridgeport bottle conditioned IPA)! (recall from previous posts IPA=Indian Pale Ale---the best (and hoppiest) beer). The fish and meat selection looked fresh and great; of course, with no pots or pans, I didn't buy any that night. (I've since learned from some locals that while they might get most groceries elsewhere, they go to Schnucks for meat and fish.) But I picked up the needed eats and drinks for the movers, milk and cereal for me, and a delightful selection of some crackers, cheese, and hummus.
First night, I was beat, but with my cheese and crackers, a little good red would be great. Going back to when Charla and I were in town, we kept passing the most interesting looking sign. Soon enough, we figured out the sign (kinda a multi-spiked atom or something; I'll post a pic of the sign soon) was for Joe's---a local wine and spirit shop. Yep---seems Memphis (at least around here) is like Arlington, TX---they'll sell beer in the grocery store, but you must go elsewhere for wine or, well, "spirits."
Back in Fort Worth, shortly after I moved in to my house, I visited Liq-o-rama. Mike, the owner, greeted me and got to know me---as a customer. Me---I was an unemployed law student. Still, Mike was great. I was able to tell him I was on a limited budget, but wanted a decent tasting red. And he delivered.
That was back in 1999. And through all those years, I was in the store only about every two or three months, but Mike always greeted--and remembered--me. Even this past December, Alex and I went in for a wine tasting, and Mike was as great as ever.
Back to Joe's---I met one of the "wine consultants" and explained that I'd literally just arrived in town, moving in, and was just looking for a simple bottle of red. He chatted a lot, getting to know me, fixed me up with a wonderful shiraz, and even gave me the personal cell number of an ADT guy (I need to get my alarm system activated very very soon).
Yep. Folks in sales know about customer service---and about working (and learning) their customers. I won't be at Joe's that often, but I bet they'll know me anyway.
I'll save the movers for a later post. For now, I'm still unpacking---and more importantly, organizing. I just thought I didn't have much closet or cabinet space in Fort Worth! Oh my! I'm getting creative here, and it's taking a little extra time to organize. But the pay-off, to me, is so worth it. I've been emptying boxes for two solid days, and finally today, I spent more time organizing.
Well, that's all been interrupted with periodic cleaning. My leasing agent had mentioned the tub might need refinishing---nope. It just needed elbow grease and a third of a bottle of Kaboom----incredible stuff!
Anyway, for a few days, it's been utter chaos. Finally today, I got a room finished! Every single box is out of my bedroom, and I've even rearranged several drawers in there.
Okay, so it's not all roses. I went down to the basement a few hours ago, taking down hangers to use for clothes out of the dryer, and, "EEEKKKKK!!!!" Yep. I screamed like a girl. But come on---that's okay! I AM a girl! ;-) What caused that scream? Shudder----a rat. Ick!!!! It ran from the utility area room, I screamed, and it started up the stairs until it found a--I'm guessing its---hole to crawl into. Indeed, on my next trip downstairs, Howard went first. :-)
Aside from that, I've had to have the plumber back out for basement issues and the pipes, but all's fixed (again). And ATT came out today to redo the phone wires in the house. The phone guy was tickled that some of the wires were from first-generation phone lines. Ummmhmmm---that's phone lines that were run before the 40s.
Anyway, all but "decorative" boxes are unpacked, and tonight I finally got the study organized. Yes, I am repacking some things to go into the attic. But knowing I will move again next summer, I'm not yet willing to throw more out than I already have. Still, after eight years in one house, this has provided a great "what do you have" opportunity.
More posts to come! :-)
Ah---before I go: Howard's great. He's an incredible guy, and he mostly has been following me room-to-room or napping around. He spotted four (yep, FOUR!) squirrels in the front yard this evening, and I let him go out to sniff. He's even found ways to watch out front.
Sophie? She's purrrrr-fect now. Sure, the trip to Dad's was tough on her, and the trip here even more so, but she's settled in wonderfully. And yes, she adores the hardwood floors.
So we're all here, and we're all settling in nicely. We're loving Midtown! :-)
Friday, July 6, 2007
Hello, Memphis!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment