Sunday, July 29, 2007

Something I Heard

I just heard a great line on a TV show:

"If I'd shot you when I met you, I'd be out of jail by now."

Oh my, now that's a good one. (not that I'm bitter...well, that's for another blog. ;-)

No, the show (State of Mind on Lifetime) didn't give the source---the show's characters referenced country music. Go figure.

That got me thinking about some of my other favorite lines. Most, I must admit, are from Sex in the City.

“When you're young, your whole life is about the pursuit of fun. Then, you grow up and learn to be cautious. You could break a bone or a heart. You look before you leap and sometimes you don't leap at all because there's not always someone there to catch you. And in life, there's no safety net. When did it stop being fun and start being scary?”
And having moved away from everyone I know---especially with a birthday looming, I must admit, this one's been in the back of my mind:

"Maybe mistakes are what make our fate... without them what would shape our lives? Maybe if we had never veered off course we wouldn't fall in love, have babies, or be who we are. After all, things change, so do cities, people come into your life and they go. But it's comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart... and if you're very lucky, a plane ride away”

Oh no----not that this move is a mistake! It's anything but that! But it is hard sometimes not to have those fabulous friends you could always call on to be there---in person. That part is hard. Fortunately, I'm used to being very (too?) independent. :-) But I know that my loved ones ARE merely a plane ride away. And that, indeed, is quite comforting. I am NOT alone---just several hours away. :-)

Not all the show's quotes are past looking. Not all are from tough times. Some are quite, to me, positive:

"Later that day I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous."
Indeed.

And having gone shopping recently, I must admit, I thought of this next quote while I was out. (yes---several of these I do have committed to memory.) See, I really needed to spiff up my wardrobe and get some good suits. But for the most part, and for what I needed, suits are a little boring. Hello? I don't consider myself boring, so not only did I buy some new suits; I bought some new shoes. And let me tell you, I bought FUN shoes! I figure I can wear a basic black suit, and even if I put a colorful top with it, well, still---yawn. So I finally got some shoes I love. And for once, I didn't get the bargain shoes. Oh heavens no, I didn't go designer. But still---these are great. And as I was trying these shoes on, and every sales person in the place was oohhing and aaahing, I couldn't help but remember this line that Carrie said in one episode of Sex in the City (and if you're single and never watched this show, you're missing out. If you're not single, sorry, but you might not totally get it. Being single is something different. Something unique. It's fabulous. It's challenging. It's up. It's down. It's exciting. It's depressing. It's, well, it's the same as all other life, but it is simply different.):
"It's really hard to walk in a single woman's shoes -- that's why you sometimes need really special shoes!”
Amen. And I have some really special---and really cute---shoes now. I learned from an inside source students thought I was a really hard professor---some even said I was mean. (what?! Moi?!) (No, that didn't hurt my feelings. I also have heard time and time again that although I was the hardest prof many students had, they learned the most from me. And that, after all, is my job.) Anyway, maybe I'll still be the hard professor. And maybe even the mean one. But I'll also be the one with the really great shoes. :-)

All that aside, though, in closing, I must admit, one of my favorite lines from the show is this one:

"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.”
'Nuff said.

No comments: