If you're a woman, you've no doubt seen the email about girlfriends. And indeed, they're the folks who provide some of the key relationships in a woman's life. And my last night in Fort Worth, I set aside to spend with some of the dear ones in my life there.
(Granted, my best friend, Melissa, is miles and miles away, and my sister, who, as you can tell from previous posts, is also a best friend (but we classify her as "sister"---'cause to me, that says it all), is likewise miles away from Fort Worth, weren't there. This night was about those fabulous female friends I had in Fort Worth.)
We had planned a great night at a Fort Worth Cats game---a final night for me at my favorite baseball park, even with fireworks scheduled! Alas, as has been the norm for North Texas since May 1st, it rained. And rained. And rained. I tell ya---I'd never seen Trinity River higher than I did that day! Yowza!
Plan B.
I jumped online and looked for the best place for gals to get together for something sweet. Michaels' filled the bill.
So my last night, I met some dear girlfriends at Michael's. About seven of us got together and shared laughter, some wine, and some delicious desserts.
We celebrated my new beginnings as well as another friend's as she's headed off to Kansas City! And bravo for her! I don't know if she knows how much I respect this step of hers---taking this step out on her own---but I do. And I'm so proud of all that she's accomplished for herself in the last year or so. I so wish her the very best.
It's funny, though, how changes around you can inspire others. My good friend Laura has fabulously exciting things happening in her life. She and I got to chat a long time Friday night when we were out with the gang, and with my, Kristin's, and Melissa's (the one going to KC) changes, she seems to have been motivated to take charge of her future and seek her path. And from the sounds of it, it's a perfect path for her! I was tickled to hear about her plans, and I applaud her courage to pursue them. WooHoo you!!!
As for Kristin, oh my goodness. She's something all together special and wonderful. I miss her so much. No, we didn't talk all the time, but there was something about knowing we could see each other any time we wanted to (or needed to) that is gone now---and for that, I grieve. (more so as I type this; oh heavens.) And so that night, I said good-bye quickly to her, fearing an utter melt-down.
I know---I'm used to having a best-friend relationship over the miles, and once again, I must do that. And I can. I guess the hard part is that I didn't know what I had with Melissa when we moved away from each other, so I never went through that "good-bye" difficulty---we actually grew closer living apart. But with Kristin, I know now. And it's harder. She's one of those whose spirit speaks to mine. Kindred spirit, ya know?
Bright side: I am incredibly blessed to have some incredible relationships with some incredible women. As the email goes, some are for seasons---some are for life. And those friends of mine who are for life, well, we'll make it through moves. I've learned that those types of friendships can indeed do that.
And for those that were just for the seasons I lived in Fort Worth---they're still as important. Maybe some of us won't stay in touch. But that's okay too. You meant a lot to me as a friend for then, and that's what's beautiful about it. I wish all of those women the best of everything in their lives.
(Oh---and for one girlfriend in particular, let me quote that we all (me included) need to remember that when his behavior says it, we should heed if "he's just not that into you." Sure Greg Beherendt is kinda silly on tv, but that line was genius. If only we women would heed the advice more often! ;-))
Yes, I have a lot of friends and girlfriends, but the deep kindred spirit person---the girlfriend you simply connect with---it's something different. Marla, Misty, Melissa, Margo, Tracy, Kristin---at each stage (city?) in my life, there's a very special girlfriend. (Charla remains constant throughout.) And I count my blessings when I can keep that friendship past moves. Some fizzle for different reasons, but a special few remain. I'm hoping mine and Kristin's remains.
Anyway, so that was the last night in Fort Worth. Afterwards, I drove home, utterly exhausted, to spend a final night in my house.
Good-bye Fort Worth. You've been great! :-)
Monday, July 9, 2007
Girlfriends
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment