Sunday, June 1, 2008

You Cannot Vote After the Polls Close

I'm so tired of the rhetoric around the Democratic nominee. No doubt, most everyone else is too. Yesterday, I listened to several different talk radio shows while running around town, and I heard what I thought was the best response to "every vote counts."

Now to say, Hillary Clinton is my second choice. And in March 2007, I said, when asked, that I planned to vote for Obama in the primary and Clinton in the general election. I (like most everyone else) never foresaw what's happened this spring.

But to continue the Florida and Michigan issue beyond yesterday or to try to use "fuzzy math" on the "popular vote" needs to end. I just watch Harold Ickes on Meet the Press, and I could feel my blood pressure rise as I listened to the goofiness of continuing this past Wednesday. Surely this will end then.

Anyway, back to the "your vote counts" shouts to Florida and Michigan voters by the Clinton campaign recently, as I've frustratingly said for months, they agreed! You must follow the rules! Of course, that's what all the talk show hosts have said (even being as neutral as they can). Still, deaf ears. Yesterday someone, and I don't know who, put it this way:

Yes, every vote counts. And that's important. But if a vote is going to count, it has to be cast under the agreed-upon rules governing that election. for example, if your polls close at 7pm, and you show up to vote at 8pm, your vote WILL NOT count. period. It is not an issue that the late voter should not count, it's an issue that the vote was not cast under guiding rules.

I extend this analogy with this thought: if one state decides to hold its general election on November 20, no doubt, that state's votes would not be able to have an impact. Here, it'd not be about the people failing to follow the rules, but that state. And the people of that state would have to hold those who made that decision accountable.

Seating the FL and Michigan delegates and giving them half votes is the best that can be done---and much more than is warranted. I understand, of course, the need to do it.

But seriously, let's drop it now and move forward.

No comments: