Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Organization is Good

Halfway through the Civil Rights Museum. my cold kicked back in, hitting me with an awful sore throat and major fatigue. It had me down again on Friday, but by Saturday, I was finally back up.

Still, moving in barely two weeks, having the cold for a week, and in general, still feeling unsettled because I can't get to find a new home until next week, I had to do something. Sure, my moving budget covers the movers packing all of my household goods. But quite frankly, I couldn't stand it. I was moving to a new state in two weeks, but nothing felt---or looked---like I would be gone soon.

So I pulled all those flattened boxes out of the attic and started finally "doing." And finally, it felt good. I packed up most of my study, my guest room, and all of the extra closets with all from my closet but what I need for the next two weeks.

Last year, I spent a lot of time organizing and cleaning out before the sale then again as I packed. When I moved in, I did even more cleaning out, and more importantly, a lot of organizing. What's that done has been to make packing this time even easier. And I suspect that unpacking will likewise be much easier. Organization, I'm just saying, is a fabulous thing.

In the meantime, I've finished my laptop article and gotten it submitted to journal editors for review. This process now begins in which I wait for two or three weeks, hoping editors are around this summer, and that someone will extend an offer to publish it. If that comes, I then play the game and contact journals with higher prestige, asking them to expedite the review, hoping for a higher placement. And if no offer comes, I send it out to journals of lower prestige than I originally started with. It's a game, but it's one we've got to play.

I've also gotten work done for the fall semester, and for the rest of this week, I'll read through the current research on the next article, keeping those things in my mind. I'll work on that through the next six months,with a goal of finishing it ideally before Christmas. Okay, so at least by the time the spring semester starts. ;-) I might travel this year for Christmas, and it'd be nice to see some snow. Maybe part of that travel will be putting myself in a cabin somewhere to finish up that writing.

And so, even with the icky cold, things are moving along. I still have a lot to pack at my office, and I plan to work on that the rest of this week. Ideally, I'll be moved out of the office by Friday morning.

Colleagues are taking me to lunch tomorrow to say good-bye, so I'm looking forward to that. And my neighbors are throwing me a party this weekend. Sure, I've been here only eleven months, but it is nice to have these final parting gatherings. I do have some great colleagues and some fabulous neighbors.

No comments: