Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tidying Up

If you've checked in lately, you may have noticed I've been trying to figure out my new blog title. Sure, this next move is another new chapter, but it's not that new or next chapter that prompted the blog originally.

As I've toyed with the title, I've thought about blogging. I don't put my blog out there for searches, after all. (that's an issue about a line not being too personally accessible for students; yes, we're people, but students don't need to know details). Really, though, the blog is more for me---a place for me to think, organize those thoughts, and yes, sometimes ramble and even rant. But do I continue blogging now? The "next chapter" is coming to an end, after all.

But my blog is also for Mom. She checks in and is able to keep in touch with me and see a depth of me I don't necessarily share too easily on the phone. And I know that being able to do so is important to her. But it's also for friends and other random family members. Some check the place here regularly, some stop by only every few weeks or months. But they can always check in.

But coming back, it's for me. I'm not trying to be selfish, but there's something about putting your thoughts out there for others to see that for me is quite therapeutic. I've always been an incredibly private person. (Ask my siblings about me as a child, and no doubt, one of them will tell of my favorite phrase as a toddling kiddo: "My business." (said quite sassily, I might add.) I attribute that to being the youngest of three (before Dad remarried and had the fourth) and having virtually no privacy as the youngest. That's my story. :-) )

Anyway, when I write and post, first, it helps me sort through my thoughts. It helps me look at those thoughts through others' lenses too: is this what I think? Am I willing to stand behind it? But second, it helps me work on that area of being too private--being too fearful of what others will think if I share what I really think. And this is important for me.

And so, I'm going to continue to blog. I don't know if there will be a new direction. I know, I know---you didn't all sign up to read my political thoughts, and yet, here they are, for all to see. ;-) But I suspect my blogging in general will remain quite the same.

Still, even deciding to continue my blog, the old title wasn't so applicable any more. I toyed with others, but in the end, we get the final choice: My Musings. That really seems to sum up best what I'm doing. I'm thinking and pondering and sharing---and not always in an orderly fashion.

So there ya go.

And finally, I've also gotten through all my old posts to assign labels. Indeed, that's been a chore. But it's also allowed me to go back through the last year, remembering, reliving, and rethinking.

Overall, I'm happy with the last year. I'm also quite happy to be turning a new page. It's time. And I'm ready.

No comments: