Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mud Island & BBQ

Finally, before leaving town, I made it to Mud Island. I went with my neighbors to the south, and we had a grand day!

We started the day visiting MFM: Memphis Farmers' Market. My neighbors had not been yet, and I was tickled they discovered it. We enjoyed a little cheese bread, rested in the hand made Adirondack chairs, and Morgan got to make a flower using a coffee filter and koolaid. Pretty "Kool"!

We then headed out to Mud Island. We rode the monorail over, ala Tom Cruise in The Firm. Then we moseyed around the museum there, learning more about life and the river. Finally, we walked the Mississippi replica.

We headed south, venturing along Memphis, Vicksburg, down to Baton Rouge, all the way to New Orleans where the replica river opens to the "Gulf." When we went back the other way, we, famished, had a $5 hot dog then headed north. That's when we learned that the replica was of only the lower Mississippi---from about St Louis south. Anyway, it was fun.

And from Mud Island, you get a whole different persepctive of downtown Memphis:


Tired, we headed back to our respective homes. I took a short nap then did a few things around the house. But that evening, we headed to my favorite BBQ joint for one last meal of the best-ever ribs and BBQ nachos: Interstate BBQ. Yumm--MIE! I didn't get much done regarding getting ready to move, but it was a fabulous day.

No comments: