Friday, May 30, 2008

Timing

Sometimes, the stars are aligned just right and timing of thinks works perfectly. Some explain such things with religion, some with karma, some with pure circumstantial luck. Whatever it is, I'm glad it was in my favor recently.

For some time, the light on my back porch has not worked. I tried several new bulbs, but it wasn't the bulb. Still, it wasn't on the top of my list as an issue. I had another light over the back patio, so the porch light wasn't a big deal.

But last week when I took my 30-day notice to my property management company, DW, I remembered to mention the light. And they said they'd get an electrician out.

On Wednesday, the electrician came to repair the light. And it just so happens that I'd just put a load of clothes in the dryer. That was a very good thing.

See, as he walked out to the back porch--where the light didn't work--he also looked up at the breaker boxes. One of them had a bright glow inside. He said, "That's not good."

Indeed---a bright, hot, glowing source inside your breaker box is not good.

After a lot of investigation, he figured out that breaker (it was separate from the others) was the 220 for the dryer. It seems it's not grounded, and it was trying to ground itself to the box--or something like that. essentially, though, it was a fire just waiting to happen. And to think, if I'd not had the clothes drying, he'd not have seen it. Whew.

He capped off that wire, shutting down that breaker, and he bid the job with DW. As of now, thought, I'm still waiting on DW to get approval from the house owners to get the rewiring done, which means I'm without a dryer. But that's okay. He found the problem, and it wasn't a fire inspector who had to figure it out among a lot of rubble.

Clothes drying. Timing. Indeed.

No comments: