Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day, 2008

As I write, I'm busy getting ready to host part of a BBQ at my house this evening. I'm having the neighbors to the south over, and my neighbors to the north are having folks over too. Christina and I have coordinated salads too, so I'll make enough pasta salad for my and her guests, and she'll make enough Greek salad for hers and mine. And since our driveways are nearly shared, we'll just keep the gates open for kids and even grown ups to wander back and forth. I suspect we'll mostly hang out on the two drives.

I'm looking forward to it, and I have a lot to do (having just moved the patio chairs in the garage when the rain came; here's hoping it's gone by 5!), but I am reminded why we all have today off.

And so I write the same thing I did last year: Sure, we enjoy a day off, BBQing, having fun, and sharing good times. But let us take at least a moment in all that to also remember what today is about: it's a day to remember. It's a day to honor.

Soldier, rest! Thy warfare o'er,

Sleep the sleep that knows not breaking,

Dream of battled fields no more.

Days of danger, nights of waking.

-Sir Walter Scott

No comments: