For a couple of weeks now, I've noticed something new about Howard. Seems he's been working on how to trick me.
Howard has a habit of investigating things in the pantry. Sometimes he'll try to open to garbage can lid, investigating anything on top, and on the rare occasion, pulling the garbage can over to get a better idea of the contents.
Other times, Howard simply wants to help me sort the paper recyclables. See, all paper for recycling must be in a separate paper sack, so I typically have one set up in the pantry on the floor next to the regular garbage can. Howard will sort through, pulling certain items out to tear on the floor in the kitchen. (I think Howard is convinced we cannot recycle envelopes with windows, but we can!)
And still other times, Howard will pull out other fun things--plastic grocery sacks (stuffed in a basket under the shelf to recycle by using for the cat box), boxes on the floor, etc.
Of course, Howard is not supposed to do these things. So usually when I hear him, I come back to the kitchen, he sees me, hangs his head low, and slinks out of the pantry. Until recently.
Lately, I've heard the same sounds, telling me that Howard's in the pantry. And so off I walk toward the kitchen. But when I get there, Howard is chomping down on mouth full of dog food. He looks up at me, as if saying, "Hi there. Good dinner tonight. Want to join me?" The first few times, I've bought it, thinking whatever I heard must have been him eating. Then, within about five minutes, the unmistakable sound of a dog in the pantry returns.
That fink. He's been trying to fake me out. He's been getting in he pantry, snooping around, then when he hears me coming, he actually abandons the pantry then pretends to be eating dinner, going back to the pantry "once the coast is clear." That fink. ;-)
Of course, what he really wants is the attention. And he initially found a way to get it without getting told "No" about being in the pantry then me closing the pantry door. Because what is especially interesting here is that Howard never snoops in the pantry when I'm not home!
Total attention seeker.
And fink.
:-)
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Howard: That (too smart) Fink!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment