I was up early Saturday, getting ready for my long trip. Because it was a long drive twice within three days, I decided not to take Howard along. But the day before, I had a bright idea of taking as many of my plants as I could to my mother's house. See, I won't be able to get them to Jax; they cannot live on the moving truck for that long. So as I was loading up my car with my plants, I was in the middle of getting one out the door, when Howard thought he should go too.
It's been ages since he tried to slip out the door while I was in the doorway. But something about Saturday, and he did. My neighbor had been helping me with the car and getting the plants in, and he almost caught Howard as Howard flew off the front porch, but alas, Howard slipped right past. And Howard was off---with a clear heading to the house across the street where he'd heard dogs the day before and he and I had seen a cat fight while on a walk the evening before.
Me, Cole, and Michelle all had the same experience, feeling our heart stop momentarily, as when Howard ran toward that other house, a fast-moving SUV was coming down the street. Howard never even acknowledged the SUV; he just ran forward, toward the street.
I called "Howard!" and my neighbor yelled something. The SUV never even slowed, and Howard missed the back tire by about four inches.
I felt as though I couldn't breathe.
Then Cole and I both jumped into action, him after Howard to keep an eye on exactly where he went, and me grabbing my keys to lure Howard into my car.
Eventually, Cole grabbed Howard and brought him home.
For the rest of the day, I couldn't shake the horrible feeling deep in the pit of me. I even called Cole that afternoon and asked for an update. He called back and told me, of course, that Howard was fine. Howard seemed to have nothing to say for himself and the scare he gave us all.
Sigh. Pets.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Dog + Car = EEEEKKK!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment