The day I got the offer for the tenure-track spot, I knew I wanted to celebrate the news. And I wanted to celebrate it with some specific people.
See, when I landed the first teaching spot, I toasted it with my sister, who happened to be visiting me that weekend. That, of course, was the first big step to the career I had figured out was the direction I'd been moving in, and I was so happy to be able to celebrate it with my sister.
This time, of course, I was here and she was there. But with a little planning, and the help of a wonderful brother-in-law, I still not only got to toast with my sister, but I also got to, again, surprise her. (It was a big surprise to her three years ago.)
My neighbors had been through all of this with me too, taking care of the critters during trips out of town in pursuit of my position, listening to me fret and rant and go on about all the stress and worries that I've been through over the last many months, and being encouraging and supportive throughout. And so, I wanted them in on the celebration too.
Thus, after I got the offer (and danced a mini jig in my office), I emailed my neighbor Michelle and asked if they were free to come over for a drink that evening. She replied that they'd be over. I also contacted my brother-in-law, and he gave me the timeline of their oh-so-busy schedule. We synchronized the plan, and he sat out to have a chilled bottle of bubbly ready at the right time.
So that evening, Michelle and Morgan came over a bit after 6 (Cole was running late), and I called Charla. (Actually, I called her hubby first, then hung up and called Charla about two minutes later---giving him time to grab the bubbly.) And so, I was able to tell them all and toast with them all at the same time! It was great! Not too long thereafter, Cole got here, and we all enjoyed a nice visit as I grinned ear-to-ear.
Of course, Morgan is only eight, so no champagne for her. But she's taken care of the critters too and is such a dear, so I wanted to be sure she was in on the celebration too. (A good aunt remembers the kids and has things for them too.) And of course, I had some chilled Sprite, and I poured her a glass in one of my champagne flutes. So she got to toast with us too!
What's interesting, of course, is how things we do have an impact on kids---things we never think will have as much of an impact as they do in the end. Turns out, this was one of those things. She'd never had anything in a champagne flute, and the way the Sprite bubbled just like our champagne was magical in her eyes. This apparently created quite an impression.
See, I learned today that last week, Morgan told her mother, "I think we might need to go over to Jana's house and drink Sprite in a fancy glass." She brought it up again over the weekend. Too cute! Thankfully, though, she never actually made it over (her mother told her she needed to be invited--not invite herself) because I don't have Sprite in the house!
Of course, it's already been added to this week's grocery list.
As I told Michelle this afternoon though, Morgan's learned what we all need to remember. Sometimes you just need some Sprite in a fancy glass. Use that fancy glass. Eat off your good china on a regular day sometimes. Treat an otherwise ordinary day as extraordinary---because they all are special days in some way or another. After all, they're each a gift. And gifts are always worth a little something fancy.
We shouldn't wait for an excuse to celebrate; life is worth celebrating!
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Sprite in a Fancy Glass
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
here, here! i couldn't have said it better myself...out with the china & crystal for dinner!
Post a Comment