Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Not a Theme---I Promise

I couldn't resist writing about this. And I had no intention of doing so--really. It's just what's on the local news.

I like to check the website of my local NBC affiliate to catch up on local news. The site has four top stories highlighted with photos and brief descriptions of the stories. Today's really caught my eye.

First, there was a story about a fourteen-year old elementary student today who was found with a handgun in his backpack. The story relates that the student will likely be expelled and sent to an alternative school. By the way, the handgun was reported to be unloaded. (Yes, I too wonder about an elementary student who's fourteen, but it can happen.) The child was arrested and charged with carrying a gun on school property. (this, the same day I received a moving mailing about 13- and 14-year-olds sentenced to life in prison with no opportunity for parole.)

Anyway, the next story up: Our dear mayor has announced that all junior high and high schools will have metal detectors installed.

I want to know one thing: who's in charge of updating our mayor on what's going on in the elementary schools?

Aside from that, though, it's sad. Still, we've had two shootings in eight days in schools in the Memphis City School system. One school board member this morning called for all schools to be shut down until safety can be assured.

Memphis. Sigh.

No comments: