Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Excitement Builds

The excitement is in the air: Super Tuesday. Never before have I had the opportunity to really be involved in a primary race. Texas doesn't vote in primaries until March, and by then, the race is usually over.

But here, we vote in two days. Yesterday, I saw a group of folks at a busy intersection holding up “Obama '08" signs. I was across several lanes of traffic and driving the other way, otherwise I'd have given them the thumbs-up. (Memphis often has folks like this, out making their statements. Last fall, I turned a corner and came upon a group with signs against the war and for peace. I honked and waved, giving the thumbs-up. And I must say, doing that in a Beetle felt surreal.)

Clinton and Obama are running a close race, and as I've said, I'll be fine voting for either in November. Of course, I am voting for Obama in two days, and I'd rather vote for him in November. Besides, I think he has a better chance than Clinton of beating McCain. (either Clinton or Obama have a good chance at beating Romney (I'm counting Huckabee out, but we'll have to see what the Bible belt does for him next week.))

On the conservative side, Huckabee is killing Romney's hopes by taking away those who are really the "evangelical conservative right" (thinking of whom, almost makes me shudder, as I try to repeat my mantra: we should tolerate even the intolerant). This, of course, could essentially give the nomination to McCain. But here's the problem: apparently, McCain isn't Republican enough. Huh. Interesting.

But this is what I find most telling of all. I've heard McCain say over and over how he will unite the Republican party. I hear both Clinton and Obama talk about uniting the country. For America to progress both here at home and with the opinion of others far away (and let me tell you, as someone who's traveled some this past year, we are not thought of highly right now), well, let’s see. Unite the republican party, or unite America? I don't think this is a difficult choice.

No comments: