I saw Juno yesterday. Pretty good little film.
It was refreshing and endearing and funny--easily, the funniest of the five. Then again, comedies are not always the "best picture" kind of thing. It reminded me of the smart and insightful Little Miss Sunshine in the Oscar sense. And so, no, I don't expect it to take the Best Pic slot. I do, however, hope that Juno takes the Best Original Screenplay award. And although Emily Page did a fabulous job, I don't expect her to capture the top actress award this year.
A few other notes on seeing Michael Clayton last week: I would be flabbergasted if George Clooney won best actor; not only did I not think his performance was incredible (not bad, but not an "oh wow!" job either), but he's up against Daniel Day Lewis who was phenomenal. But the female in Michael Clayton (Tilda Swinton) is up for supporting actress. (If I ever get to teach a morality & practice of law seminar, I think I would show this flick--showing how slowly this woman gets to where she does, not really one who starts as a bad person, and how easy it is to make decisions when you can be detached.) She did a good job. But I really liked the young girl in Atonement. I don't know which way that one will go---especially given that I haven't seen the other three performances. As for supporting actor, Tom Wilkinson did do a great job in Michael Clayton. But he's up against Javier Bardem from No Country for Old Men, and that was a stellar performance.
As for film, having seen all five, I would be willing to bet it will be There Will be Blood or Atonement at the top. At least those are my top two for the final statue. And considering that last year was The Departed, I'd bet $5 on Atonement. (that's the limit of my gambling--$5.)
I choose No Country for Old Men, though, for Best Director. My second choice there is There Will Be Blood. And either of those should take home the Best Adapted Screenplay---especially if Atonement gets Best Pic.
We'll have to wait to see, of course. Although I keep thinking the Oscars are tonight (and I've msitakenly told several people that), they aren't until next week.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Final Flick
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment