Super Bowl XLII
Wow! So the Giants pulled the upset! I did watch the last minute of the game, and the best play I saw was when Eli Manning got out the near-sack with having a hold of his shirt then Tyree making the incredible catch in the air almost on top of a Patriot. That set up for an incredible last minute of the game. Hats off to you, NYGiants. (And congrats to the Manning brothers; how cool is that to have two brothers who are QBs win back-to-back super bowls?!)
But this is more than a football game: it's the night that all ad execs must dream of---having their creation watched by millions. I've fast-forwarded through most of the game and hit the highlights. And so, who pulled the advertising win? Before I get to that, my first thought was, "Do all the other stations promote their own shows as much as fox has tonight?" Seriously---it's a bit much. Anyway, back to the real ads . . . .
Right up there at the top were the Bud Light spots---now comes with the ability to breathe fire / ability to fly. Too funny! (but really the only good ones from Bud Light, imho)
Tide-to-Go's spot with the Talking Stain was priceless! how many of us have felt like a stain of our own was that spotlighted?
Of course, the Budweiser one with the Rocky theme was good--mostly for the music. (I have that song on my iPod--wonderfully motivating about 40 minutes into a tough cardio workout.)
And I did like the Life Water commercial--really just for the music and tribute to the Thriller video. I think I heard somewhere this year is the 25th anniversary of that video. Whew, now that's something to make one feel old.
The Chester Pitts/Oboe one was good---made you feel all warm and fuzzy. Okay, and I played the oboe. (“Play,” of course, is relative; my cat Misty used to bite my fingers when I practiced. Now that’s low.) Another warm & fuzzy one was when Charlie Brown got the Coke---good ol’ Charlie Brown.
The Amp commercial, though, was just plain disturbing. (And a further comment on our need for too much caffeine.)
I actually laughed out loud, I’ll admit, at the Doritos commercial with the giant r vat. I totally didn't see that coming!
But my laughter was loudest based on watching the spots with the E-trade talking baby who bought stock. Now that was worthy of some advertising dollar$! I know, some will say it was creepy, but to me—hilarious!
Most effective? I'm willing to bet the first GoDaddy dot com was huge. How many men do you think won't check out that site within the next twenty-four hours?
The Coke spot with James Carville & Bill Frist, of course, was good. I'd had a preview of that one this morning; Carville was on meet the Press. And did you notice that James Carville was the one who got kissed by the mascot at the basketball game and took the lead over Frist while they were on the scooter-thingies? Guess the spot wasn’t completely unbiased after all. ;-)
As for the Diet Pepsi Max, I just kept thinking what a sad reflection on our society. Gosh, people, go to bed! ;-) Seriously, though, too many people really don't get enough sleep, and I wonder sometimes what sorts of accidents and costs come with that. This is easy, though, for me to say given that I've made a point of working on my sleep patterns. I wanted to start reading before bed. But I love watching Colbert. Well, I could have done both, staying up later. But I didn't--I gave up Colbert. Actually, interestingly, I've even given up more tv watching and am heading to bed a bit earlier than I though I would have.
Frankly, though, the hidden shots of the coaches, considering the Patriots were playing, was most chuckle-worthy in the irony-sort-of-way.
But so, another Super Bowl is over. All you ad folks—you’ve got the next year to create.
Oh, and Cowboys, get to practice! :-)
Sunday, February 3, 2008
And Now, a Word From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment