Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Inversion

Finally, I did it! I did an inversion, getting my feet all the way up in the air.

Well, to be fair, I had some help . . . .

This one was a forearm stand. One day, it will look like this pose seen on the left. Essentially, you're on your forearms, palms down, head down but not touching. (This was the hardest part for me; my upper arms are quite short, I learned.) The idea is to be able to kick up and balance in the middle of the room.

We, though, started this at the wall. And I had to have a strap around my upper arms to keep them where they needed to be (my instructor is fabulous with props), and two fellow yogis caught my feet after I kicked up to give me a little helping hand up.

But I did it.

I balanced, I used a lot of shoulder strength, and I held my feet up overhead---in my inversion.

Why care about inversions? It gives you a whole new perspective, literally, and you can transfer that to your figurative view. Inversions also help you get "unstuck" from ruts or habits--getting you to that new, different place--that place we can transrom our hearts to be open, giving, yielding.

No, I didn't balance away from the wall, but we do, after all, call it a yoga practice.

No comments: