Friday, August 17, 2007

Observations

Fort Worth has a great recycling program. But Memphis is making strides---they have now started accepting boxes.

But Memphis hasn't caught on very well to the idea of a protected left-hand turn.

Then again, Memphis doesn't have a lot of congested traffic. Maybe Memphis doesn't have a need for to many protected left-hand turns.

I thought it'd be hard to adapt to a place with few protected left-hand turns, but upon reflection, I've been able to turn left during almost any green light I've wanted. I'll adapt to having few protected left-hand turns. And I've almost learned to adapt to having so many intersections on Union that don't allow any left-hand turn. I'm learning.


Originally when I got here, I was traveling the long way to work. With the short way, it's barely four miles away. And I don't have to get on any interstate.

I love doing almost all of my shopping and running around without having to get on an interstate or highway.

Memphians complain about the drivers around here. I've lived in Houston. These drivers are fine. It's the pedestrians who worry me.

Don't be surprised in Memphis when someone walks out in the middle of the road, jogs down the middle of the lane, or even rolls a wheelchair backwards down the road. And I'm not talking mad dash across the street. No, this is a leisurely stroll across the middle of a street. Crosswalks? Around here they seem to be a waste of paint.

Tennessee state law mandates any wine to be sold in a liquor stores (aka "wine and spirit stores"). But liquor stores can be open as late as 11 p.m.

Another later closing is with drinking establishments; state law here allows them to stay open until 3am. Except for Beale Street---those places can stay open until 5am. For now. (There's current controversy about whether to change that---thinking that moving the closing time up to 3 will remove a thuggish element from the street. But as most commentators have pointed out, that will remove the thuggish element only between 3 & 5. In other words, those in power aren't addressing the real problem.) But apparently there are even a few places that were allowed to keep their previous hours when state law changed---and those are open 24/7. Whoa.

It gets much brighter much earlier here---especially through the three windows facing east in my bedroom. Back in early July, the sun was up before 6am.

If you close the blinds so that the slight opening faces down instead of up, the bright light from the sun at 6 am isn't quite as bright.

A person can adapt even to bright sunlight at 6 am.

Parents should not take infants into movie theaters.

Parents who do should remove the infant for the duration of the movie at the very first sign of discomfort of the infant.

Tennessee does not require front license plates. My New Beetle is much cuter without that front license plate.

Thirty-one days straight of 100+ degree heat index eventually gets oppressive. Even walking the dog at 7:30 am is hot.

Satellite radio is pretty cool.

Satellite television is pretty cool too.

Memphis is dripping with fabulous bits of history. It's also rich in diversity and bits of culture. Okay, so it's grown, and it's become more eclectic. As one person told me: "Memphis: not as lame as it once was." Well, I wasn't here before, but I can say, it's not at all lame now.

Millipedes are creepy looking.

For the most part, millipedes are relatively harmless. But they're still creepy looking.

Even as an adult, I don't like daddy long-legs.

Sure, moving requires adjustments. But that's just part of the adventure!


No comments: