Classes officially began yesterday. First doctrinal course for me to teach, and yep things went well!
My poor students, bless their hearts! (that's a true southerner thing to say. Well, a southerner and Texan thing. I've learned there's a difference. Sure, Texans, though, are southerners. But we're more; we're also Texan.) Anyway, my students have FOUR classes on Mondays. Bless their hearts! And I teach their last class of the day---at 2pm. After lunch. When those mixed carb/protein lunches are ripping at every bit of energy their bodies have just for digestion, making them sleepy. Heck. Bless my heart!
And like any new group of students with a new professor, they didn't know what to expect. Heck, I didn't know exactly what to expect. But it was great. I came right out of the gate, calling on a completely random student (I created a random number generator and through that, randomly ordered the students to determine an order in which to call on them initially), and it wasn't too long before a few more timidly raised hands appeared---beckoning to respond to a hypothetical question posed. As we got deeper in the discussion, even more people wanted to get involved. (I chose a book that uses a case in touch with students as the first case, which is used partly to show them how much they don't know about contract law and partly to engage them from day one.) Not that I didn't live up to my tough reputation; I called people out for having failed to complete parts of the first day assignment, but I called 'em out and moved on. Letting them know you mean what you say is vital, but picking on someone isn't part of that.
It's all about balance.
And so, I felt good about it. I even made my typical stupid jokes, which all got the expected chuckles and even some eye rolls, but I didn't sing. I'll wait for that one. ;-)
Today, although I don't have classes, was quite busy too. I met my research assistant, and she seems quite interested in my research project for her. And I had the new faculty benefits orientation. I realized, yes, in my fortieth year, I really need to get serious about retirement.
Prompted by that, I made a call to my money guy during the break, and we've agreed to talk in the next two weeks to see how far behind I am on my retirement goals. Ick. But I have to think: better late than never! (not that I've done nothing, but I've never had a plan. I have changed jobs and careers so much, with the in-between break of law school, that the goal of setting up a plan always seemed to get pushed back. Now I'm doing what I want to do---as a full career---and even if it's late in the game, it's time to really make a plan. Sure, I've got loans to deal with before a lot of that can be realized, but I feel good going in the right direction.)
I've also really gotten into a groove with the gym and walking Howard. He loves it; I love it. It's all good.
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
And We're Off!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment