Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Gift of Wellness

Satellite radio came with my car---with the initial sign-up fee paid and three months free. Listening to a station yesterday morning, called "Classic Rewind" (it plays classic rock songs not quite as old as the classic rock songs played on "Classic Vinyl"), I heard this: "Sure, you may be getting older, but you're becoming a classic."

:-)

Alrighty, then, as the day approaches that I'm closer to be coming a classic, it was absolutely time to get off my rear and find a gym. It'd been seven weeks since I worked out! Gasp! And yes, my zippers have not let me forget it.

And so, I found a nearby place, toured it, got the whole pitch, and signed up at Inside Out Gym. Why there? Well, first plus: it's oh-so-close to home (about a mile and a half). (Close to home is ideal for me; I prefer to work out in the mornings---after I walk Howard, and before I shower for work.) Second, the place doesn't charge extra for classes. (Seems that a lot of places try to nickel and dime just a little too much.) Also, the philosophy fits with me. Here's a line from the website: "We believe in total health and fitness (body, mind, and spirit), but we do it in an old fashioned way - with hard work." And although there was a joining fee (shouldn't that fee be waived for people new to town? I think so. Okay, so maybe I'm biased), I see the sign-up fee as my birthday gift to myself. (Okay, sure, it's not the only gift I'm enjoying this birthday week! ;-) ) Oh, and finally, it's not a "big box" kind of place; in fact, it was one of the owners who gave me my tour, and they work out there right along with everyone else. A noncorporate kind of place is my kind of place---I have usually found those folks care more about their clientele.

Tuesday morning was my first day back. With my different schedule, I get to use a gym that's relatively empty. But a downside exists---unless I want to be there at 6am (and I don't), I miss out most morning classes. Oh well. Still, I can catch yoga on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and there's a Pilates class on Wednesday evenings. They also do offer midmorning classes on Wednesdays an Fridays. I'll figure out what works for my schedule.




But the other cool thing is that they have rowers! I love the rowing machine! Seriously, I get quite tired of the treadmill and elliptical for my cardio, and I've never been one for the bike. But a rower! That can provide a great cardio workout and actually work the whole body---not just lower half. Love it! And they even have rowing classes (like spinning classes on bikes)----where everyone rows as a group, with the pace set by a trained instructor. I have my rower orientation scheduled for this Saturday. After that, I'm good for classes or to just row on my own. (and I'll eventually try a spinning class too.)

Naturally, it's quite a different clientele than my old Y. (I did check into the Y here, but the hours and classes were just not worth it for one that'd be about three times as far away as Inside Out. Plus, the rowers really won me over.) I didn't ask specifically, but best I can tell, Inside Out doesn't have child care. Remember, though, this area is heavily populated by single professionals. And I didn't notice a lot of retired folks. I am going to missed those retirees from the old Y.


I also went back Tuesday evening for a yoga class. It'd been so long since I'd practiced, but what a great class! I think I'm going to learn a lot more about positions with this class. And although I never thought I'd be able to do it, I actually got into an L-handstand yesterday. (It's a handstand but you bend at the waist so that your legs are perpendicular to your torso, and your feet are against the wall while you're standing on your hands, facing the wall. (I don't think I've ever, no, not even as a kid, done an actual full handstand. That wasn't my thing.)) Our teacher does a great job of leading you step-by-step into a new position, and I tried it. And I did it. I'm so excited for my practice! (Granted, something (the lunges, no doubt) aggravated my knee, and it fussed all evening. But it's better today. I'll watch those lunges next Tuesday.)


And so, another birthday gift to me was the gift of wellness.




But not just for me! Howard met his local vet yesterday morning. He needed the bordatella vaccine (I forgot to get Doc to update that one) so that he can go get social with some more pooches and we needed to establish a relationship with someone local---an Aggie, but of course!



I liked the clinic (Memphis Animal Clinic--my neighbors Cole & Michelle referred us there), and I liked Dr. Tower. The staff all seemed wonderfully friendly and attentive, and things seemed to run smoothly. They even have a groomer on staff, so Howard went back this morning for a much needed haircut.



Why the bordatella? Well, although my neighbor has already offered to take care of Howard and Sophie during all of my upcoming fall trips, just in case I do need to board Howard with little notice, he'd need that vaccine. And see, we still haven't found a fenced-in off-leash park. Best I can tell, Memphis lacks that. So Howard might just go a few times a month to, oh heavens, I cannot believe I'm going to do this, to doggie day care. I'll keep you posted on that one! :-)

No comments: