Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Fortieth Begins

What? I know; I'm not forty---yet. But last Thursday, I officially began my fortieth year of life. Alrighty.

(I know, this confuses some people. But think about it: when you were born, you began living the first year of your life, but you weren't "one" yet---not until the end of the first year did you turn one. Ergo, at the end of my fortieth year, I'll "turn" forty. Got it? :-) )

But seriously, it was a great day! After a dog walk and a good workout, I enjoyed an afternoon of self indulgence----a deep tissue massage, a pedicure, and a manicure. Fabulous! And so not knowing that many people here, I didn't have plans for the evening, but I stopped in to Bosco's for happy hour and a bite to eat, and as it turns out, I became a Cellerman!

Yes, this is the place I mentioned before. It's a great little brew pub right here in Midtown (it's located at Overton Square), and they actually make some really good beers. And better still: It's a nonsmoking establishment! WooHoo!! Anyway, each weekday around 5:30, a random drawing is held, and the winner gets to tap cask of the cask-conditioned keg. See, they brew a special small batch in the traditional British method whereby the beer has a fermentation process actually in the cask---the keg. It also isn't carbonated in the traditional method. Instead, it's dispensed with a beer engine---no gas pressure. And it's also unfiltered and they use whole hop flowers right in the cask. All I know, is that it's fabulously smooth. (The Flying Saucer in Fort Worth has a beer engine, but sadly, the supplier doesn't always keep the cask-conditioned keg in stock. Good thing with Bosco's---they make their own!)

And so, on Thursday, my number was chosen, and I got to tap the cask! (okay, admittedly---so maybe the fact that about six people gave me their tickets, upon hearing it was my birthday, that increased those odds quite a bit.) Well, they said hit the tap hard, but if you've never done it, you really don't have an idea. And I had no idea. It spewed everywhere! Oh well, they say that beer's good for your hair, right? No really---it went all over me, my hair, the bar. Oh goodness. But please---it was all in fun, and I knew it could spew. Besides, I got a fabulous round of applause! :-)

I don't have the photo of me tapping the cask, but here's one from the web, just to give you an idea. I have a feeling my spewing was twice as big as this one:



And so, what a way to begin my fortieth year. It's going to be a good one. I can feel it.

No comments: