Monday, March 3, 2008

It's a Jungle Out There

The show is Lipstick Jungle, and I must say, it sure does make for a fun hour each week. No heavy thinking; no tears or worries, just fun.

It’s about three female friends in NYC—a magazine executive, a movie studio executive, and a fashion designer. Watching it each week, though, makes me miss my friends I saw there in January. It’s odd, too, the ways in which we can match our lives with those on the show. Okay, except for the fact that none of us is a top exec or had a fabulous Manhattan apartment. Sure, there’s that.

But back to those three: two are married, one of those struggling, one of those oh-so-wise. And indeed, I see some of my friends in those ladies. And the third? Well, she’s single and going through a transition time in her career. She’s also the youngest of the three (as I am among my particular friends.) And she’s cute and fun and spunky. Yes, I can say it’s nice to associate with her—the cute, fun, spunky one. See, as a kid, I always had to be Sabrina, you know, the smart one, when it came to Charlie’s Angels. ;-) (Albeit, on the show, the single one on LJ has started dating a bazillionaire. As if. Sigh. ;-) Of course, he’s not all that perfect; he has issues too.)

Anyway, as I said, the show’s a lot of fun. I just watched the latest episode, and a couple of the lines really struck me as gems.

For the first, the magazine exec gal is having a hard day: she’s just learned that it’s her in-house rival who’s behind a bad sexual harassment suit. And so, after the end of the work-day, the movie studio exec drops by her office, finding her at her desk sipping from a coffee mug . . . and holding an open bottle of wine. As she pours more into her cup, the movie exec asks, “What, are we out of creamer?”

Later, the designer, who’s just made the dress for an actress starring in the movie exec’s movie (the premiere is that night), is consoling the actress who’s gotten bad news about her now-ex-boyfriend. She’s gotten into the designer’s liquor cabinet and is having a melt-down at not finding bourbon (although she’s clearly found and enjoyed lots of other things). Pulling more bottles out of the cabinet, the actress asks, drunkenly, “Can I mix vodka with gin?” The designer responds, “Not after Labor Day.”

It’s a great show, and a lot of fun. I miss my friends each time I see it, but I also know I get to look forward to our next book chat. Besides, as I told them, if we all lived in the same city, oh the wine we would go through! ;-)

No comments: