Ah, as I type, 2007 is creeping out the back door, making way for a new year: 2008.
The year in review? Gosh, it's been quite a year, indeed. I've heard, and wondered myself sometimes, about if how you ring in the year is indicative of the year to come. In my experience, there's some truth to that--in the same way, of course, we find truth to our horoscopes. ;-) But still, maybe I should have been forewarned that 2007 was going to be bumpy.
Last year, about five minutes before midnight, I was greeted by a friend of mine arriving at the party where I was . . . with my ex-boyfriend as her date. Whoa. Yes, that put a damper on my New Year's Eve. I'll admit, I didn't take learning this information gracefully ("Bamboozled" was the word I kept using, as I remember), and after she'd had ten-minutes' worth of daggers from my eyes, fortunately, they left the party. Still, I didn't ring in the year in a good mood. (Seriously? neither could have told me before hand? I have to learn five minutes before midnight on New Years Eve? (Okay, I have barely an hour more to be bitter, then I really have to finally let this go, I know.))
So, this year? Well, since moving here, I haven't gone on more than two or three dates with any one person, so the risk of a repeat is minimal. And I'm staying home tonight. With so much going on in NYC the rest of the week, there was no need for me to go out tonight. Sure, I will stay up to ring in midnight. (After all, I just painted my toenails, so I must stay up for them to dry. (No need to paint my fingernails, though, thanks to Santa! ;-) I got this great SeaCret stuff with a fabulous buffer--my nails are super shiny!) (Thanks, Santa!)
Anyway, yes, the year, in a whole, has been, well, bumpy. Don't get me wrong, it's been incredible in many ways. But even in those ways, there've been bumps.
I have finally stepped out of my safe-zone to take care of me. And as scary as that is, I have no regrets.
And wow: TWO trips to Africa!
I sold my house--with a nice profit.
I moved out of state for the first time.
I taught new classes.
I presented, for the first time in academia, to colleagues--FOUR times!
I taught a course to lawyers in Uganda.
I went scuba diving--off the coast of Zanzibar, in the Indian Ocean!
I took belly-dance lessons.
I (finally) bought a laptop.
I FINALLY bought my convertible! :-)
I moved into a 1926 house--with a basement! And stairs to the attic!
I put myself out there--really out there--for my job. No, I haven't landed a permanent spot yet, but I have taken a chance that was hard to take, and I'm proud of myself for taking. It might take another two or so years to finish search. But I've begun the search--and that, for me, has been big.
My life had grown very stale, very static. I needed more, and to get more, I had to take some steps--such as moving. For the most part, I've gotten a lot of support from others in making this move. And that's been nice.
There's more for me to come.
And 2008 is ringing in quite nicely. That should make for a nice year to come, don't you think?
And so, Happy New Year to all, and to all, a safe and fabulous year filled with love, peace, kindness, and warmth.
Monday, December 31, 2007
Adios 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment