I've seen it all now. :-)
On Sunday, at the recommendation of some folks I met while getting sushi last week, I went to see Jerry Springer--the Opera. That's right---the Opera. And it was a hoot! I am so glad I went!
Indeed, the program warned that the audience was about to hear more cussing on stage than it ever had---or ever would. And that was no lie. But what entertainment! (And yes, it has it all---sexual "deviants"; hillbillies; transsexuals; the ever-involved audience (that sings "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! in full opera fashion); and yes, even the Ku Klux Klan (wearing tap shoes).)
I can say, I'll never see tap dancing the same way again. First, it was a tap-dancing Ku Klux Klan, and at the end of the show, the ensemble, all dressed as Jerry, tapped out the line from "Peaches"---the fiance'-to-be who's surprised with her beloved revealing a secret. The line? Well, this first male guest on Jerry's show, who has the secret he wants to reveal to his fiance'-to-be, bellows,
"I've been seeing someone else.
I've been seeing someone else.
I've been seeing someone else."
And the fiance-to-be sings, with a faster pace, "What the F---? What the F---? What the F---ing F---ing F---?"
(Of course, she sang the actual words. But I just can't put those in the blog.)
Yep. Oh my goodness.
Another song has this catchy chorus:
"This is my Jerry Spring moment.
I don't want this moment to die.
So dip me in chocolate,
And throw me to the Lesbians.
I don't want this moment to die."
Perhaps you'll recognize the set in this pic I was able to take after the show. (The set is modified for the second act; otherwise, it'd really look oddly very much like the TV set.)
You can hear some of the um, musical, selections yourself here. (Click "Skip" for the intro, then choose "Music" from the menu across the bottom.) (Warning: the website had graphic words and images) (For real fun, click on "Disc Two" and listen to the selection from "Grilled and Roasted." (The set-up for that song: Essentially, Satan is singing to Jerry, explaining what will happen to Jerry should he stay in Hell versus doing satan a favor.) (NOTE: do NOT listen to this at work unless you wear headphones!)) (and for a local preview of the show, playing here in Memphis, click here.)

I have a friend Susan who sings opera and has a phenomenal voice. (She blogs at The Foxhole.) I read it the local preview that some people who'd gotten roles in the show here had to resign---for fear of what their church choirs would think---once they realized what they'd actually have to sing. So Susan, when the show comes to Dallas, you now know. But I will say that if you are in this show, I'll do all I can to get back to town to see you in it. :-)
The show was playing at the Playhouse on the Square---the local theater at Overton Square, barely a mile or two from my house. And I was sold! The Playhouse has just started this season, and it had incredible deals for package tickets. The great thing was I was able to buy eight tickets and can use them essentially as vouchers for any shows. For example, I can take seven friends to one show or take a date to four shows or go see eight different shows alone---or any such combination. (I'm giving two vouchers to my neighbors who will tend to my critters next weekend.) I think I'm most excited about seeing the play Doubt later this fall---looks good.
1 comment:
Ooooo, I can't WAIT to see this one! Sounds hilarious! Wonder if The Living Opera might take this one on? haha, probably not
Post a Comment