I finally saw The Lion King! And I must say, it's now one of my top three favorite Broadway shows.
I used some birthday money (thanks, Mom!) to splurge on an orchestra level ticket. And it was grand! The music, of course, was incredible. But the creativity and engineering of the characters' costumes, which also worked for some characters as a sort of puppet, was truly amazing. Just seeing how realistically the characters moved---the giraffes especially---makes me yearn to return to Africa.
The show was at The Orpheum. It's much older than Bass Hall, of course, but it's still grand. It has the same sort of circular area on the ceiling, and it's quite ornate--a lot of gold trim throughout.
And Memphis knew this show would be big. While other shows in their Broadway season are here for only a weekend, The Lion King has had a three-week run.
(And interestingly enough, the woman sitting next to me grew up in Fort Worth, attended A&M, and is now a professor here in Memphis. It's a small world, after all!)
Anyway, if you get the chance, I cannot recommend The Lion King enough. It was truly spectacular and fabulous for the whole family.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Hakuna Matata!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment