Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Gravity and That Different Perspective


Last night in yoga we did a number of inversions/partial inversions. I was near some other intermediate/advanced yogis as we did the prep pose for shoulder stand, and the four of us went ahead and took a shoulder stand. I actually got lifted up and out of it too, for the first time. But let me explain how that happened (as I see it in hindsight).

In the past, in those inversions, I've always felt a little odd. And self-conscious. I figure we're all just pretty used to our shapes and bodies. Some of us, admittedly, me too, carry some extra poundage around. But we get used to how we carry it and, well, where it falls.

Then put yourself in an inverted position. Darned if those extra pounds don't shift and gather quite awkwardly. And they feel oh-so-visible.

But last night, the two yogis to my right giggled, and one said "I hate how my fat falls together when I'm like this." And they giggled again, pointing out the part of their physical form, that layer of, well, fat, that fell toward the floor in an abnormal position when they were inverted. (This is most true with a shoulder stand; as you might notice from the pic, you're staring right at your tummy in this pose.) I laughed out loud and thanked them for saying that. Seriously, I had thought I was the only one who felt like that! Ah, yes, and that one of them is thin and young and cute---helps all the more.

And so, what I take from that is that the issues we each have with our bodies, for the most part, we're not alone. We're all a little self-conscious about things, but in reality, so is everyone else. And thus, I was encouraged to let go of those hang-ups and let go. After all, if the young, thin, cute girl feels the same way, heck, we're all in that boat.

And who knows. Maybe that's why I was able to lift up into my shoulder stand and really experience it. Feeling my shoulders release, my legs stretch high up in the air, my hips steady and firmly supported in my hands. For the first time, I let go of other issues and just really enjoyed the pose---and seeing things from a new perspective. Whaddaya know. That's just what inversions are supposed to do for us.

No comments: