Happy Turkey Day!
What's up with "Time" in this blog's title? Well, there's still one MORE day to wait on Africa. Indeed, I awoke at 2:30 and again at 3:30 this morning, anxious to hear the "final" word. It finally came through, telling my colleague and me that Uganda could afford only one of us. The program was developed by my colleague and another professor, so I knew it wouldn't be me flying solo. I let everyone know that I'd be okay stepping out and allowing her to go.
Then she called this morning around 7:30. (She was about to board a plane in Seattle.) As I had suspected, she did not think only one person teaching the program was a good idea pedagogically. After all, the program is designed to give a lot of individual attention to the participants, and just one person cannot really do that. It would also be exhausting for that person to solely teach the entire week-long program. Added to that was her not exactly wanting to do it on her own--not to mention the plan of us vacationing for a week after the program; she wasn't thrilled with doing that on her own either.
So we discussed our options. As happy as I was with now having the next three weeks to take care of other things, I agreed to give Uganda one more day. And so she replied with an email that essentially says it's either both of us or neither of us. And we gave them until close of business Uganda time on Friday to get us the answer. For me, that's about 8am, so hopefully my mind will at least allow my body to sleep through the night.
But it is Thanksgiving, and I've got a turkey breast to get in the oven. (Howard's going to get a turkey dinner too!) Other than that, I'm going to enjoy a nap today and not doing too much of anything other than remembering to be thankful for the many opportunities I have and for good friends.
I hope all of you too enjoy this Thanksgiving Day!
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment