Friday, November 23, 2007

Ho, Ho, Ho, to Africa I Go

'Twas the day after Thanksgiving . . . .

But the shopping to be done in this house is less for Christmas and more about malaria protection! Yep, the trip's back on. They did, of course, wait until the 11th hour to send the decision, which came to me after 8am this morning. (I still woke around 2am last night, having dreamed about the trip, but I quickly went back to sleep.) I had just about given up, then the email came, confirming the program would run as scheduled--with both me and my colleague teaching.

In the end, it's a good thing. I am so very excited about seeing Uganda and meeting the many attorneys we'll be training---who are from all over east Africa. We've also got several dinners scheduled with attorneys and law professors I met last time I was in Africa and folks Mimi (my colleageu0 met while she was there last spring. I'll admit, though, I'm especially excited about the beach and diving in the Indian Ocean.

It's been really hard, these last two weeks with everything being in limbo, but I am glad the trip's back on. Sure, it means my time's tight with all that I need to do over the next six weeks, but that's okay. What must get done will get done.

I spent some time this morning checking out some dive websites, and I sent inquiries about the dates I'll have open to dive. I do so hope the whale sharks have made it to the east cost by then! How amazing to dive and see them!

We have, though, asked to move our return up a couple of days. This way, I can have a full week to tend to grading before Christmas.

Thanksgiving was nice. I enjoyed a nap early in the day, then I took Howard out to the Bartlett dog park---that is, after we stopped by Starbucks. (I enjoyed a pumpkin-spiced latte, and Howard got a lid with a dollop of whipped cream on it. He thinks the Starbucks drive-through is just the greatest. :-) ) The two golden retrievers who were there last time we were there showed up again, and again, hatch followed Howard all around everywhere. Howard had qutie a fun time.

After the dog park, we got back home in time to pick up the Cowboys game a little into the first quarter. I got the turkey in the oven, which turned out delicious and prettier than any turkey I'd made to date. I picked out a turkey pouch of Sophie's food for her, and Howard actually got a little taste of everything in his dog dish last night---a little turkey, some dressing, a little sweet potato, and even some brussel sprouts. Yummy stuff.

Today I'm getting organized to figure out all that must be tended to over the next seven days. And this afternoon, I'll watch the Aggie game. But tomorrow, it's back to work. I have an exercise to finish writing for Africa, and I need to wrap up my exam.

So many things to do . . . . :-)

No comments: