Sunday, May 6, 2007

Carpet, I am Woman, and Baseball

I feel like I've just unpacked after moving---and I haven't even left the county!

Last week, I signed with a realtor---the one who helped me find my house eight years ago. And much of the weekend was spent finishing up the "make ready" to show my house. I had already begun to go through everything and clean out, but now it's down to finishing up the things I've been putting off. But in the middle of this, I needed new carpet. Years of wear on cheap carpet plus a dog who got bored one too many times when I wanted to sleep late meant new carpet was in order to sell the house.

(I've since learned that to sleep late, so long as Howard has gone out, I can then close the bedroom door and he'll sleep late with me. But it the door's open, he seems to think his mission is to get me out of bed.)

Getting new carpet---seems simple enough. But oh my, it's a lot of work! Granted, for the almost ten hours Miguel and Jose were at my home, there wasn't much for me to do---except grade papers sitting on the kitchen floor. But once they were done, whoa! I had to put everything back together again. I had a lot of sympathy for All the King's Men!

And yes--ten hours it took. Part way through, I realized I wouldn't make it to Mayfest. I was disappointed, but I also by that time had a more realistic idea of what the rest of my night and the next day would involve. I called to cancel, with the promise that those friends and I get together soon---maybe for one last night at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Before moving on, I'll digress a little. I have a neighbor who's been great. He's the one neighbor who's been on the street since these houses were built in '86. And he owns a pole saw and gas-powered hedge trimmers. But I only borrow those tools; I actually use 'em myself---it has been interesting learnig how to prune a tree! Well, my neighbor has been stating lately how impressed he is with that---saying I work harder around my house than any woman he's ever seen.

Hearing his words have been inspiring. And Friday night, I got to share a little of that inspiration. I was pooped---after being up too late Thursday then up early Friday and doing a lot of waiting all day, by the time the carpet guys were done and I got my car back (a few minor repairs done), I saw my newest neighbor struggling with her lawn mower. She'd driven home with it and asked another neighbor, Tony across the street, for help unloading it. Then her son got to work on the front yard. Alas, the mower stopped---or he stopped it---and it wouldn't start back. I've been there. So I went over.

It was a mechanical issue, and Maria was frustrated. So I asked her son if he'd asked Tony for help. He said no, and I urged him to go knock on the door. He did, Tony came out, and more grass lost its height.

Anyway, so Maria and I got to talking more, and bless her heart. She's there with two kids on her own. And it's hard. She seemed so surprised to learn that I lived on my own. She said she would get so sad---on her own. But I told her how proud she could be. I told her I had two grandmothers who were so proud of me---to be a woman who could live alone and could support herself. I reminded her that once you're independent, it's great to date a man because you want to and not because you need to. (of course, sadly, it seems too many men seem to need to be needed and have a hard time with a woman who just really wants to date 'em---darned egos. But I cannot be someone I'm not. Perhaps, ergo, I'm single. ;-) )

Anyway, so I told her she was a fabulous woman for buying a house on her own for her and her two children (their dad seems to have left the picture). And I told her what a phenomenal thing she was doing for her daughter---to show her that no matter what, she would never have to stay in a bad situation because she was afraid of making it on her own.

Maria had tears in her eyes, but they looked like tears of understanding and hope---not like the tears of sadness she said she cried most nights. She told me thank you, and she said she learned something that night.

But before I left, I reminded her that part of living on your own involved asking for help when you need it. When I bought my house, the neighbors who learned I was a single woman stepped up and offered their help---they even used "if you can't start your lawn mower" as an example.

Back to the new carpet---so yes, as independent as I am, darn if I have no idea what wires are supposed to be plugged into my subwoofer from the receiver. I've plugged all wires in to some place, but I was left without any for the bass. And I love bass! Darn. Sigh. I'll ask for help, but knowing I'm not here for too long doesn't make it that high a priority.

But on the other hand, I hooked up every single computer wire, cord, etc.! And for that, yes, I'm proud. :-)

So my house is just about ready. I still have a couple of repairs left to do, but the sign should go in the yard by Friday.

Ah---and the baseball? Well, I remember my first major league baseball game---vaguely. I was about seven or eight, and my dad took us to Rangers Stadium. So what's more fitting for what could be my last Rangers game than to go with my dad?!

Indeed, Dad was in town for a vet. meeting, and the activity of the evening was a Rangers game. (And with the Stars and Mavs having choked, well, Go Rangers!) I drove over to Arlington and met him, and we headed to the tailgate party. Yummy eats, then a great game---with what I think is the best (home team) baseball inning I've ever seen! The Rangers scored six runs in ONE inning! Wow! Of course, just hanging out and talking was the highlight of the evening.

My older brother, also in town for the vet. meeting, joined us around the sixth inning, and it was great to see him too!

In all, a great weekend. Productivity, seeing family, and wrapping it up with Sunday night TV. (while Desperate Housewives has gotten better this season, my new favorite show is Brothers & Sisters, and it didn't disappoint tonight.)

The week ahead? Those final little details around the house, grading papers, and Woohoo! Lunch at the Saucer with my friend James. And at the end of the week---more family times for Mom's Day weekend at my mom's and a visit to College Station to see my nephew in his senior boots. Do I hear a "Whoop!"?

:-)

No comments: