Howdy!
So indeed: it's called blogging. To blog---a new verb. It means, essentially, to log things on the web: web logging. That's been shortened from web logging to blogging. And I'm going to start doing it.
What is this for? Time will tell. For now, it's just a place I'm going to write various things about this next and very new chapter in my life. And instead of sending emails that are too long or cluttering your inboxes, it's your choice if you want to tune in and catch up on what's going on.
New chapter? Yep---I'm moving to Memphis, baby! BBQ, Blues, and better yet--a wonderful opportunity to develop professionally as I now tackle what's called "doctrinal" courses.
Huh? What? I know--this is NEWS to some people. Let's see if I can catch you up. See, up until now, I've taught what are called "skills" courses. And I've loved it! But to broaden my abilities, my opportunities, and my experience, I'm going to teach a course based not on legal skills, but on legal doctrine. What sort of course? For the fall semester, it'll be Contracts I. In the spring, I'll teach the second half of Contracts as well as a course in Remedies---a course that addresses the legal remedies that can be pursued for all sorts of issues---personal injuries, contract breach, etc. So this fall, I'll still have those first-year students, whom I adore, but next spring, it'll be a new ballgame: upper-level students. I expect different sorts of challenges with those. But with each challenge, of course, is really just an opportunity to grow.
And where will this begin? In Memphis! University of Memphis, to be exact: the Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law. This spot is a one-year gig---called a visitorship. See, Memphis had a need to fill a spot, and I was willing to go. But it is meant to be for just one year. Log on next fall as I expand out and look for a spot to set roots a little more.
How? Well, in the fall, I'll participate in what is called the Faculty Recruitment Conference sponsored by the American Association of Law Schools (AALS). Some call it a meat-market. Some call it the fall dance. I'll call it the begining of the rest. It's through that conference that I'll apply for the position I'll move on to after this year in Memphis.
So there's the prologue to this next part in the life of me. I've spent the last couple of weeks cleaning out my house and getting it ready to show--for selling or renting. The month of May will involve me grading the final papers from the spring semester. (A great thing about doctrinal courses is that grading is MUCH less involved than what've I've had to do the last two years.) And in June, I'll head up to Tennessee to look for housing.
In the meantime, expect a few random posts---my using this place for some ramblings of thoughts, opinions, etc. Read 'em; don't read 'em---totally up to you.
Oh--and feel free to scroll on down and take a look at the piece of art of the day, the illusion of the day, or the sudoku puzzle---keep that mind sharp!
Friday, April 27, 2007
It's Called Blogging
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment